Top Ten Signs You’re An Underearner.
Often people feel stuck in their jobs, or have this underlying feeling that they are underperforming and underearner. “This is not how it was supposed to turn out.” Their situation could range anywhere from a financial crisis to being quite successful yet they end up getting stuck somewhere. You may be an underearner. Do you indentify with these symptoms?
- You blame something or someone else for your situation such as parents, boss, or business-partner.
- Have low self-esteem and placed an unconscious ceiling on your earning capacity.
- Minimize the importance of money in your life and attempt to rationlize it by saying things like “money doesn’t buy happiness.”
- Fear that earning more or having success means loss of freedom, or will somehow negatively impact your personal life.
- Have negative stereotypes about wealthy people. “Rich people are not nice.” “Rich people are greedy.”
- Are Waitiing for someone or circumstance to do it for you, you believe you’ll marry rich, win the lottery, or some benefactor will recognize your special qualities and change your life.
- You choose to stay in your comfort zone by not doing what is uncomfortable, such as promoting yourself, asking for a raise, or gave up on your dreams so you don’t have to take risks.
- The 5 people you spend most of your time with are also underearners.
- Believe they are trapped by their lifestyle or obligations such as bills, family.
- Lacks clarity on the finances, monthly expenses, debts, etc.
If you are an underearner, the first thing you need to do is stop denying or pretending you aren’t one. Then there are some great steps you can take like finding a mentor, going to Debtor’s Anonymous-Don’t let the name fool you they have some great programs on underearning. Build a support network, find some friends who are earning more than you. A couple of great books to read on this subject are “The Soul of Money”; Rich Dad Poor Dad, and Millionaire Mind.